Early-Season Nordic Centers Open for Skiing
Find OPEN Early Season Nordic Centers
Finding open early-season Nordic centers in Colorado can be a challenge. Unlike the alpine ski resorts, nordic centers rely entirely on Mother Nature to deliver the necessary snowpack. The areas that can open for an early season of cross-country skiing in Colorado are situated in areas that historically receive lots of snow. Below is the list of Nordic centers that are open or will open soon for the 2023/24 season. Check the complete Nordic Center Guide for a cross-country ski center near you.
Cross-country skiing is a unique winter experience. Skiers can enjoy the beauty of nature while engaging in a fun and challenging activity. Unlike downhill skiing, cross-country skiing is a low-impact exercise that provides a great cardiovascular.
Here are some of the best early-season Nordic centers:
- Grand Mesa Nordic Council – OPEN limited (has the most groomed trails available in Colorado now): Located high on the Grand Mesa at 10,000 feet and east of Grand Junction. This organization grooms a total of 50K for both classic and skate skiing. They host a series of clinics and events throughout the season.
- Breckenridge Nordic Center – OPEN limited: Situated in Breckenridge, this center offers over 1,400 acres of groomed trails and stunning mountain views. They provide equipment rentals, lessons, and even guided snowshoe tours.
- Aspen Snowmass Nordic Trail System – OPEN limited: Aspen Snowmass offers over 60 kilometers of trails for cross-country skiing, with options for all levels of skiers. The trails wind through beautiful forests and provide breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
- Steamboat Ski Touring Center – OPEN limited: located next to the Steamboat Ski Resort with a total of 15 kilometers for classic and skate skiing. The center offers a complete pro shop, lessons, rentals, and more.
- Snow Mountain Ranch – OPEN limited: In Granby, Snow Mountain Ranch offers over 100 kilometers of trails, including classic and skate skiing options. The center also features a biathlon range and offers lessons for all ages and abilities.
- Keystone Nordic Center – OPENS Dec 8th: Located in Keystone, this Nordic center offers over 9 kilometers of groomed trails and beautiful scenic views. Visitors can also rent equipment and take lessons to improve their skills.
- Devil’s Thumb Ranch – OPENS Dec 9th: Located near Winter Park, Devil’s Thumb Ranch offers over 100 kilometers of groomed trails suitable for all skill levels. The ranch also provides ski rentals and lessons for beginners.
Explore the winter wonderland of Colorado in a unique way.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced skier, cross-country skiing at these early-season Nordic centers will surely be an unforgettable experience. So don’t miss out on the winter resort fun, and try cross-country skiing!
If you are new to cross-country skiing, check in with these local resorts about lessons. Although nordic skiing appears rather straight forward, it’s actually more difficult than it appears. Getting the right gear and tips on ski technique will make your experience much more enjoyable.